Ring of Kerry

Ring of Kerry
Between Killarney and Kenmare

Monday, June 7, 2010

Telstra called. They want to let you know they still think you’re just a number.

In the middle of the night, the mobile rang. It was Telstra. In fact, it was quite extraordinary. A female robot from Telstra – she sounded so real. They had me fooled for a while there. But it was soon apparent because the robot it faulty – they’ve forgotten to include an all-important human trait – empathy. Here’s how our conversation went:
4am Irish Time
Ring, ring
Me: (sleepy voice) Hello?
Robot: Hello, it’s xxxx xxxxxx from Telstra, I’m calling about your bill. It’s overdue.
Me: I’m overseas, at the moment. It’s the middle of the night.
Robot: It’s in the amount of $130.
Me: Is that for the phone?
Robot: It’s for the phone and the internet recently connected. How would you like to pay for this. Can you give me your credit card details.
Me: No. I’m am not giving you my credit card details. It’s the middle of the night. I am in Ireland. You woke me.
Robot: Do you want an extension?
Me: It can’t be that overdue, I paid bills before I left in early May.
Robot: I can give you a 24-hour extension to pay.
Me: I will get my husband to pay the bill. Can you give me a bit longer?
Robot: 48 hours?
Me: Can you give me till the end of the week? I AM OVERSEAS.
Robot: OK, then.
Me: Goodbye.
“Click”
Did anyone hear any empathy in there? I swear that is the conversation. Not once did she apologise for waking me up. I was so angry after that I couldn’t get back to sleep. Thanks Telstra – I will be disconnecting when I get home – no extensions.

No comments: