Ring of Kerry

Ring of Kerry
Between Killarney and Kenmare

Sunday, May 30, 2010

Coffee is crap in Ireland

I have tried nearly every coffee place in the town of Kenmare, Killarney and Cork. Coffee is crap in Ireland. Tea’s not great either.
I do not understand this. They are so close to the continent where coffee is very, very good, But on the other hand, they are also very close to the United States, where coffee is very, very bad.
It’s weird, because they have the food down so well. They do lovely seafood – chowders, mussels, plaice, fish and chips of course. I had a terrific plate of fried liver the other night with a pesto mash and some lightly steamed veg with a bit of mustardy sauce. I haven’t tried any lamb yet. Have seen to many cute ones on the side of the road!
Also, they are very big on organic food here – I couldn’t believe it when I bought organic peanut butter in the supermarket – and it was cheaper than the non-organic. That’s pretty amazing.
Although the plums I bought were from Majorca and the bananas from somewhere else tropical (naturally). The strawberries were from Ireland, but they didn’t look ripe/red enough – so I left them.
In Kenmare, they have two health food shops, and one of these is run as a co-op. They have all the lovely fresh yoghurts and flaxseed oil and hempseed oil (my favourite health food) and terrific herb teas – so that’s all grand. But the coffee is yuk.
So, I’m off to Rome for a bit. Bonjiourno supremo latte!

No comments: