Ring of Kerry

Ring of Kerry
Between Killarney and Kenmare

Monday, May 17, 2010

Kenmare Day 2* - Cider is good

Kenmare, County Kerry, Republic of Ireland

Apple cider is good, particularly in the land of Guinness when you don't really like Guinness. I promise to work on this, it's not very Irish not to like it.
As an Australian with some sort of Irish heritage, I assumed I would...but no. However, here in delightful Kenmare I have found a pub which has three types of cider available and internet access - so whoo hoo - this is where I am writing my first blog from. Internet cafes are a rarity here - there are internet access points - you know those kind of smelly (boy) places where everyone's on a terminal - but not those pull out your laptop and away you go kind of places - except in expensive hotels.
Even here in Kenmare I have only found two pubs so far with wifi - but I still have quite a bit of searching to do as there could be 15 pubs in this little town. Not surprised are you.
Here they have Bulmers - the widely available Irish cider - which is quite heavy on the palette. Plus, they have Kopparberg (a Swedish cider) in an assortment of flavours. The third is Aspall - which is English and very fine. The pub is PF McCarthy's and it's a ripper. Get down here ASAP.
The other pub that has wifi seems to have some sort of hidden equation in place calculating how long you're online with how much alcohol or other goods you have consumed. As I approached the end of my pint (I am a slow drinker), the internet access dried up. As I wasn't prepared to buy another drink (I also don't drink much), I called it quits. Won't be going back there anytime soon.
By the way, wrote the first 5.5 pages of my new screenplay today.
*There is no Day 1 post yet, this was written on my 2nd full day on my own in Kenmare after my hubbie Rob went home.

No comments: