Ring of Kerry

Ring of Kerry
Between Killarney and Kenmare

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Kenmare Day 1 - Old musos never die

Backtracking a bit here to Sunday 16th May - my first full day on my own in Kenmare. Did lot of reading for my new screenplay and "mapping" - which is where I draw the narrative line (1st act, 2nd act, 3rd act, plot turning points etc) - then gave up and went down to Kenmare where a band was playing on the street at 7pm.
It was a fundraiser - couldn't work out for what Bee-something - but a convoy of giant tractors came through the main town as part of the festivities. Apparently, one of them had attempted to drive backward around the Ring of Kerry that afternoon as a fundraiser. Now, I don't know if any of you are familiar with the Ring of Kerry - but it's windy (that's wine-dy) and windy too - and narrow and very blind and there are quite a few sheep on the road in parts (and Spring lambs at the moment).
I don't know how they went but I assume it was a grand success as there was much applause with the arrival of these giant tractors. (I say giant tractors because they look that way to me but to a farmer they are probably just standard size).
Anyway, it occured to me, here I am, a city girl - SYDNEY - a biggish city. And, would I take a two-month holiday in a rural town in Australia - say smaller than Orange? What do you think dear reader?

Anyway...back to the subject of this post. I sat at the bar in one of the pubs (as you do when you don't know anyone) and fortunately sat next to two lovely old guys from Macroom - who were playing there that night in The Lounge Bar - which sounded very posh indeed. They were corkers these guys - one a drummer and the other the piano accordian. So we had a chat and they declared to the barmaid they were "going off to Australia" with me! Shortly after they went to start their set I ventured in The Lounge - thinking this will be a grand craic. Um. No.
The music was OK but I felt I had gone back in time by about 50 years - there was hardly anyone in there and most of the people were on walking sticks and frames. It was one of those rooms where everyone turns to look at you when you walk in.
The high point of my agonising 10 minutes in there were two women waltzing together - and a third woman cutting in. Are these the town lesbians or just women who love to dance and can't find an able-bodied man in the room?
Mid-way through a song I crab-walked out of there with as much nonchalance as I could muster while my insides were screaming "Get me outta here!"

No comments: