Ring of Kerry

Ring of Kerry
Between Killarney and Kenmare

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Fire's On

In an extraordinary twist of fate, the name of one of my screenplays 'Fire's On', rang true at midnight last night.
Having watched about 3 new eps of 30 Rock - lucked out there - I was preparing to go to bed. The gas fire, which I had been considering my welcome friend, developed a level of recalcitrance only seen in appliances when you're on your own. It refused to turn off. The knob just wouldn't budge and in fact fell off several times...leaving just a (pardon the pun) small hot rod jutting out - which was equally defiant.
Hmmm. Too late to go get the neighbour who I had bugged the day before when I thought I had misplaced my keys. I have no phone, so an emergency call would have to be via Australian mobile.
I searched the flat for pliers...and found a small screwdriver - which wasn't much help. Without going into the nuts and bolts of my meagre attempts to get the knob back on or to turn without burning my hands...nothing worked. The fire became the devil in the room. With sore fingers I searched for the gas point - maybe I could turn it off at source. But, again, no luck.
I had instructions from the landlord on which way to turn the master valve but not where it was...I went to bed (after removing postcards from the mantle and anything else mildly flammable) hoping I wouldn't be incinerated in the night. Did I mention this is an open gas fire with coals (I guess they're fake coals).
This morning I went and bought pliers and had another go...still not budging. I really feel like a weakling now.

I texted the owners and asked how to turn off the gas...they obliged, explaining that this sometimes happens and that once the fire has cooled down, the knob will miraculously turn again. Wish I knew that last night...or before I turned the fire on even.

Fire's Off. Did I mention it's raining and cool today?

No comments: