Ring of Kerry

Ring of Kerry
Between Killarney and Kenmare

Sunday, May 30, 2010

There are no snakes in Ireland

Well, at least that’s the mythology. It is said that St Patrick, the patron saint of Ireland, banished the snakes at some point – not dissimilar to smiting I might venture.
But is it true? I mean, has anyone in Ireland – in scientific circles – every carried out an exhaustive study of the country’s fauna and declared that there are no snakes here – not even tiny ones that live in small rock crevices and nooks – similar to those lived in by the faeries – and it’s just that no-one’s ever seen one?
I’m not saying there are snakes in Ireland. I’m just saying, where’s the proof? Also, I think the St Patrick’s smiting thingy is a bit of old blarney – and there just aren’t any snakes here because of the geography of the place.
A good bit of skulduggery would be to import some snakes from somewhere, say, where they have an excess of the creatures. Any ideas, dear readers?
Roadkill postscript: I have seen dead badgers, rabbits and birds. I have seen live lambs, donkeys (burros!), goats and ponies – so cute!!

No comments: